Can you use the same external hard drive for Mac and PC?
Want to use one external drive for both your Windows PC and your Mac? … Windows uses NTFS and Mac OS uses HFS and they’re incompatible with each other. However, you can format the drive to work with both Windows and Mac by using the exFAT filesystem.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC without formatting?
Try to repair the read-only external hard drive with or without formatting.
- Solution 1: Using NTFS for Mac tool.
- Solution 2: Enable NTFS read-write with Terminal (not recommend)
- Solution 3: Format this external hard drive to exFAT/FAT32.
- Solution 1: Change the permission of this external hard drive.
How do I make my Seagate external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
How to format Seagate for Mac and PC?
- Run AOMEI Partition Assistant. In the main interface, locate the Seagate drive, right-click it and choose “Format Partition”.
- In the pop-up window, choose exFAT or FAT32 among the listed file systems (Here exFAT is selected). Then, click “OK”.
- You’ll return to the main interface.
How do I convert my Mac external hard drive to Windows?
Convert Formatted Drive From Mac to Windows
- Get a Backup. Before going ahead and formatting your hard drive for Windows, you should get a backup. …
- Delete the Mac Formatted Partition. …
- Delete EFI System Partition. …
- Assign NTFS File System.
How do I make my external hard drive writable on a Mac?
Click the “Privilege” pull-down menu, and then click “Read and Write” to make the external hard drive both readable and writeable, or click “Write Only” if you want to turn it into a “Drop Box,” which the user can only write files to, but not read files.
Do I need to format external hard drive for Mac?
Yes, connecting an external hard drive or USB flash key to a Mac will generally read and work fine as is because the Mac can easily read other filesystem formats, including Windows MSDOS, FAT, FAT32, ExFat, and NTFS formats, but unless you intend on using the drive between a Windows and Mac machine, formatting it to be …
Why is my Seagate external hard drive not being recognized?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. … If your computer is desktop, you should make sure that the USB port into which the Seagate external hard drive plugs is on the back of your computer.